7/14/2020

Peter Manning

Wardening Tues 14 July 8:50-12:05. Usual numbers of people about (36), but dog-walkers seemed to be in abundance; 8 cars in the park when I left. All paths ok, but there is the end of a small branch (~4cm dia) at head height on the N canal path just past where the wooden fencing ends. Someone has wrapped it in an orange bag, but it could take someones eye out. Just needs a small saw. Spent much of my time on a cow hunt. Found in the middle of Western Fen all lying down in tallish coarse grass, not even in a trampled clearing. You could not see them at all until within 20m. Two of them did stand to look at me, and they had all obviously been moving round that morning. On my way out of the fen following cow tracks I disturbed a group of 5 or so birds, I think they were Bitterns. Might this indicate they have bred in Fishlake Reserve this year? Plenty of other juvenile Warblers around the permissive path & W Fen area.

1 comment:

  1. Having looked it up these were too small for Bitterns; must have been water rails! Wishful thinking!

    ReplyDelete

 The canal side path is becoming seriously eroded about half way between the two concrete bridges. I expect this is known as it is so obviou...